My Crazy LifeFleur De LisAll RecipesFleur De LisRecipe FavesFleur De LisSinful Recipes

Monday, March 16, 2009

Braised Hunter Style Chicken

I liked this recipe a lot... I changed it from the original a bit (which I found on Heather's site - link to the left)

Braised Hunter Style Chicken
1.5lbs chicken thighs - boneless skinless (You could use breasts, thighs or legs)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 TBS olive oil
8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
1.5 c chopped onions
1 cup chopped green onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c dry red wine or chicken broth (I used the wine... YUM!)
2 TBS tomato paste
1 (14 oz) can stewed tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes)
1 TBS finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1 bay leaf
1 TBS chopped Italian parsley
1 to 2 TBS lemon juice (I didn't use)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Trim the chicken of visible fat. Season both sides of chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper. In an oven-proof skillet with lid, cook chicken in hot oil for 10 minutes (about 5 mins per side over medium heat) or until light brown, turning to brown evenly. Remove chicken and set aside, saving 1 TBL of drippings for sauce. (I only had 1 TBL of drippings so I didn't drain)

In the same skillet, cook the mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and garlic in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in wine and tomato paste(I mixed together first). Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes(You want sauce to slightly thicken and the alcohol to burn off from the wine). Stir in tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaf. Place chicken pieces back into the mixture, nestling into the sauce. Season sauce and chicken with additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring mixture to boiling over medium heat.

Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. (Be careful when taking the pan out... it is likely to be hot!)

To serve, arrange chicken on a platter; spoon sauce over. Sprinkle with parsley.

Serves 5

No comments: