My Crazy LifeFleur De LisAll RecipesFleur De LisRecipe FavesFleur De LisSinful Recipes

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

I love fall because it's cool enough to start eating soups again... soups have been a staple of my diet. This one is one that I have almost every day... so yummy! Sometimes I use less curry and add poultry seasoning and ground nutmeg instead...

Curried Butternut Squash Soup (Adapted from Ellie Krieger - Food Network)
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (2 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (*I prefer chicken broth)
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons curry powder (as stated above, I often use 1TBL as well as a little poultry seasoning and grated nutmeg.)
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
2 tablespoons honey (*)
4 teaspoons plain low-fat yogurt, for garnish

Heat oil over medium heat in a 6-quart stockpot. Add onions and garlic and saute until soft but not brown, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the butternut squash, broth, curry powder and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat stir in honey and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender until smooth. Season with salt, to taste.
Ladle into serving bowls and add a dollop of yogurt.

1 comment:

Dawn. said...

Umm...sounds yummy!! I will link your blog to mine - I loooove recipes. Thanks! Dawn