My Crazy LifeFleur De LisAll RecipesFleur De LisRecipe FavesFleur De LisSinful Recipes

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bubble-Up Pizza Casserole

We tried this on Superbowl night, and it was really good. We, well I... was craving pizza, and this sounded healthier than Papa Johns!!!!

Richie liked it a lot as did I, and the leftovers were really good!
I am anxious to try it with other "fillings", and would love to figure out how to make a Hawaiian Pizza one... I'm accepting ideas...

Bubble up pizza casserole


1 lb lean ground beef or turkey (I used 96/4)
1 medium onion, chopped
16 oz tomato sauce
1/2 tsp dried basil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
your choice of veggie toppings... I used:
  • mushrooms - small container, sliced
  • olives - about 20
  • green peppers - I used 2 small
  • Optional - I didn't use - Turkey Pepperoni
15 oz refrigerated biscuits, quartered (** indulgence) - I found that the Pillsbury Pizza dough cut up into pieces was actually less calories...
1.25 c FF or soy mozzarella shreds (I used part FF and part low fat/part skim...)

Preheat oven to 350. In skillet, brown meat over medium heat, stirring to crumble. Stir in onion, tomato sauce, basil, garlic, and Italian seasoning.

Add veggies/fill-ins and optional turkey pepperoni. Add quartered biscuit/pizza dough; stir gently until biscuits are covered with sauce.
***Note to self... I would put half the beef mixture on the bottom of the pan, then spread the pizza dough pieces on top of that because I found some areas got a lot and some not so many... then I would pour the rest of the beef mixture overtop...

Spray a 9 x 13" casserole dish with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until biscuits are done. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 8

-- Posted by Hippomommy on the WW Core board

No comments: