My Crazy LifeFleur De LisAll RecipesFleur De LisRecipe FavesFleur De LisSinful Recipes

Thursday, January 8, 2009

What is Important to You???

A few weeks ago, right before Christmas, I learned that a woman I knew in college--a sorority sister--was battling cancer. She was diagnosed in March and it didn't seem like the treatments were working. She turned 31 in December--just 2 years older than me--and passed away on Sunday. I didn't know her all that well as I was only at the University of Kansas for a semester, but I remembered her visibly. Perhaps because our first names are the same, but maybe it was more than that.

She kept a journal about her battle from start to finish, and as I read it, it became clear that she was a fighter and someone who truly affected all of those around her. I was impressed with her struggle and her ability to point out in the midst of it all what was important to her.

As I read her journal, I cried... a lot... I'm rather emotional, but I hadn't seen this woman for nearly 10 years so it was surprising to me that I felt this attached to the situation. But her perspective on things was what did that to me.

I realized through all of this that so often I don't really LIVE my life... I just go through it. I let small things get in my way of truly enjoying life. I let myself get flustered easily. I don't treat myself the way I should. I worry/struggle with material things. And I don't delight in the way I should with everyday things.

So, I made a resolution to myself... not a New Year's resolution because that just seems to corny for this. The resolution is this:
  • To see past the small things - and not get flustered easily
  • To treat myself the way I should (make exercise, eating right, sleep, time with my husband and friends, and reading the Bible
  • To make time for the things important to me... (similar to above, but include going to church regularly)
  • To take pleasure in things around me
  • To treat every day as a gift and try to live in the moment more

For those of you that want a kick in the pants and some perspective on your own life... feel free to visit her journal, http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/meganfranz

31 is awfully young to leave this earth, but if God called me home, I would want to know that I affected people the way she did.

No comments: